Thursday, November 13, 2008

Troop Tube

Just about everyone in the world knows about YouTube. It's the best place to go online to kill time, especially when you're at work like I am now. Sometimes I surf around and watch old boxing matches or cartoons that aired when I was a child. Hey, anything to not fall asleep on the job.

But I'm sure most people haven't heard of TroopTube. It's just like YouTube, only customized for the U.S. military.

About a year ago, the Pentagon blocked social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace for members in the armed forces. The Pentagon claimed this was a security measure, as they didn't want classified material to be leaked. This didn't sit well with the troops, who wanted a way to stay in touch with their loved ones back home. So TroopTube was developed.

In order to register on TroopTube, one must work for the Defense Department or serve in the U.S. armed forces. That or have a family member in the military. The process of uploading videos is similar to YouTube, only that the Pentagon reviews all videos before they are posted on the site, instead of an editorial board.

I think the concept of TroopTube is a good idea, although I don't agree with the fact that soldiers are not allowed to use social networking sites. But then again, no one asked for my opinion.

I don't have any relatives or friends in the armed forces, so I don't know how soldiers feel about TroopTube. That would be interesting to know. I would also like to know if there any other sites that soldiers cannot access, particularly those related to the news.

1 comment:

Suzanne Levinson said...

This is a new one on me. I don't suppose they're allowed to video battles and post them.